Yale University made bicycles available to selected departments and their personnel for use in traveling around campus. The bicycles are available for the convenience of those employees who wish to use them. Other methods of transportation are available, and no one should feel under any obligation to use these bicycles. Anyone wishing to use a bicycle must comply with the following:
- Traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits, and other traffic rules and regulations applicable to all vehicles must be obeyed. Bicycles are considered vehicles. It is illegal to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk in New Haven.
- Bicycles are to be used exclusively for University business. They are not for personal use.
- A helmet must be worn at all times while the user is on the bicycle.
- The bicycle must be parked in a lawful place and secured by a lock. When not in use, the bicycle will be locked in a space designated for bike parking by the department.
- Before taking out a bicycle, the user must reserve the bicycle through the scheduling software system.
- The user must not lend the bicycle to anyone or allow anyone else to ride it.
- Loss of, or damage to, a bicycle must be reported immediately to the Y-Bike coordinator for your department. All accidents must be immediately reported to Risk Management at 203-432-6606.
- Bicycles may only be used during daylight hours.
- Bicycles shall not be used during hazardous weather conditions, including riding on snowy or icy roadways.
The undersigned agrees to abide by the above rules and regulations. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the ability to use the bicycles. By signing below, the undersigned confirms that he or she is unaware of any physical or medical conditions that would interfere with his or her ability to operate the bicycle in a safe manner without injury to himself/herself or others.