Go to the bottom of this page to view campus Zipcar locations.
Yale University has partnered with Zipcar to offer its students and employees discounted yearly memberships! To join you must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have had a valid drivers license (from any country) for at least a year;
- Have a reasonably clean driving record.
- Join with a valid Yale email address, and use the UPI code on your Yale Identification card in the field labeled “Employee or Institutional number”.
Find out how Zipcar works and six simple rules to follow.
If you do not meet the requirements for the Yale discounted membership, you can still join Zipcar as a community member.
Individual Membership (Personal Use)
(bills to your personal credit card for personal use)
Departmental Membership (Business Use)
(bills to a Yale Purchasing Card for business use—once an account has been created and approved)
Any Yale Department may create a Zipcar account for business use. There is no membership fee or annual fee for a departmental account. Zipcars can save your department money relative to owning a fleet vehicle or renting a car. All eligible members of your department can use a Zipcar for business purposes and bill directly to one Pcard.
- When creating your departmental account, please let Zipcar know if anyone who will be using your account is under 21.
- Zipcar members only pay for the hours they use the car and 180 miles of travel are free with each 24-hour reservation.
- If a department member already has a personal Zipcar account and joins the departmental account, they will choose whether to bill their reservation to their personal account or to their departmental account, based on the type of trip.
- If you have financial responsibilities within your department, you may create an account for your department.
- Or, join an existing departmental account.
- Learn more about departmental Zipcar accounts.
*Please note that employees who have occasion to rent vehicles three or more times per year for Yale-affiliated business should take the online Driver’s Safety Awareness Training course.
For member inquiries, please contact the Office of Sustainability at (203) 436-3571 or fill out our online feedback form.
For urgent inquiries only, please contact the Office of Facilities at (203) 432-6888.